Thursday 3 April 2008

Primula vulgaris



The first painting in my handmade sketchbook.
It's not great but it's a start.
I decided to use the sketchbook for watercolours of my garden from life rather than from my photographs.
Painting from life really is a whole different ball game and I'm way out of practice.
I think it is much harder than using a photograph where all the colours have been decided.
Sitting in front of my primroses it was up to me to discern their delicate hues and tones.
Obviously I'm not very discerning!
My primroses aren't prim at all,they're most definitely of the vulgaris breed, overblown and blowzy :)

2 comments:

Tony LaRocca said...

Very pretty!
-By the way, I've edited my post about Penn & Teller's water ban to focus on Al Gore's latest ad campaign. If you want to change or delete your comment, let me know

-Thanks for stopping by
-Tony

NANCY LEFKO said...

Janie:

Congratulations...you've won my blog giveaway. You can send your address to mycollageart@gmail.com and I'll get the collage in the mail to you.

Thanks for playing along !