Monday 15 September 2008

Tuning into the tranny




Thematic Photographic post's a new topic every Wednesday evening.
This weeks is 'Close-up'
So here's a close-up of my transistor radio or tranny as we call it.
It belonged to my partner's Granny.
It's a Granny Tranny!
But in this day and age of ipods and mp3 players I still love my Granny Tranny.
There's something very comforting and companionable about taking your radio with you around the house.
Especially listening to it while gardening, it always reminds me of my teenage summers spent potato picking for pocket money.
The tinny sound of the tranny blaring out the 'Top Ten' hits of the day and the smell of warm freshly turned earth.
Ah yes those were the days my friend....

8 comments:

Artoholic said...

Ahhh, and the chrome accented ones are even extra special!

We had a similiar one in our kitchen, which had a cassette player built in, so you could tape the radio programes.

Over the years the telescopic antennae got broken, so the reception was a bit of a bugger, but we all loved it still. Plastic trannies had no character like the shiny silver ones!

I do like your depth of field in these shots.

Warm regards,

Cindy

MamaCta! said...

What great photos for the topic! In that first photo, Tranny looks as ready as ever to pick up a signal and do it's job. I hope Tranny is around for years to come!

Anonymous said...

J'adore cette serie de photos

Mojo said...

Okay, I confess. The title raised an eyebrow.
But the photos are exceptional!

janie said...

Hi Cindy, ya, the ariel isn't still attached here either it just sits in the well but it still works.
mama c, my partner is very attached to this tranny and was horrified to read that I take it out to the garden, it was the first he heard of it:), but I do look after it so yes hopefully it will last another life time!
Thanks babylonezoo:)
Lol, mojo, it never even occurred to me;)

painted fish studio said...

ha! i love granny tranny! the pictures are surreal -- the green tint makes them seem a bit more organic.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am Fred. My phone +2 33 5458226. I am presents consaltings.

Anonymous said...

As you prepare your property for your first open house event, be sure to see it from the perspective of a possible purchaser. Make certain that the whole residence is spic and span and that it looks inviting. Turn on all the lamps and lights in the home so each and every room appears welcoming and warm. When possible, do some staging. This may include putting some magazines and books out on a end table, or arranging a bouquet of fresh flowers on the [url=http://www.handfans123.com]hand fans[/url] kitchen table. Some real-estate agents go so far as to bake some cookies or fresh bread to give the home a [url=http://www.handfans123.com]custom hand fans[/url] inviting and cozy ambiance.